[ACCEPTED]-error creating the web proxy specified in the 'system.net/defaultproxy' configuration section-.net

Accepted answer
Score: 61

I had this same problem today and found 9 a solution for it. In my case, the problem 8 occurred because I was using a network disk 7 for storing my project. When run from this 6 network disk, this problem occurred. I moved 5 the project to my local hard drive and it 4 was gone. I am guessing this has something 3 to do with security, as Windows considers 2 the network drive less secure than my hard 1 disk.

Score: 35

Try to add the below lines to your app.config 2 or web.config and your application might 1 work.

    <defaultProxy enabled="false" useDefaultCredentials="false">
Score: 1

This error is somehow related to the .Net framework you're 9 building against.

I created a simple test 8 app to perform a WebRequest. If I set the target Framwework 7 to 4.0, I get this error. If I then set 6 it to 3.5, without changing the code, my 5 request works fine.

It does not directly 4 solve your issue, as you probably cannot 3 change the external application you're using, but 2 I hope this may be useful for people who 1 look for the same error message.

Score: 1

I ran "netsh winsock reset" (as administrator) and 7 reset the PC to solve this problem. It 6 was happening when trying to install a winforms 5 application - which worked fine on all the 4 other PCs in the office.

A clue was that 3 Chrome wasn't able to access the internet 2 on this PC - and the solution to that fixed 1 both problems.

Score: 0

In my case, I had a windows 2003 server 7 and my .net 4.0 console application was 6 placed on the "D" drive and I kept seeping 5 this error when running it (it was trying 4 to connect to a remote WCF service). As 3 soon as I placed the application files on 2 my "C" drive, everything worked. I have 1 no idea why!

Score: 0

I had this problem as well (putting this 9 here for others). It turns out in my case 8 I was calling a wcf service that was secured 7 via ssl. The certificate was one issued 6 internally for development purposes. The 5 problem arises when your wcf service reference 4 is configured for https://myserv/service.svc but the certificate has 3 https://myserv.mydomain.com/service.svc.

Removing the fully qualified domin name 2 (from the client element in app.config \ web.config 1 (or if it in client.config) fixes the problem.

Score: 0

In web.config file check if you have a sharedListeners 3 tag. Inside each add tag you need to have 2 the "type" attribute filled..... something 1 like this:

  <add initializeData="c:\log\trace.svclog" name="logging" type="System.Diagnostics.XmlWriterTraceListener, System, Version=, Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=c77a5c561934e999">
Score: 0

For me when I received this error I managed 6 to 'fix' it by including the 'type' attribute 5 in my listener in the web.config:

        <add type="Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener, Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="AzureDiagnostics">
          <filter type=""/>

However 4 Visual Studio (2012) actually tells me that 3 this attribute is not allowed... Still removing 2 it leads to me getting the error, including 1 it leads to it working correctly.

Score: 0

I had the same problem with one of my apps. On 13 TEST server everything was ok, on PROD server 12 the app was failing with this error message.

Turns 11 out that case in important! On my TEST server, the 10 config file had <system.net><defaultproxy> => working.

On my PROD server, I 9 had the same setting => not working. I changed 8 that to <system.net><defaultProxy>, with a capital 'P', and everything 7 is fine now. I guess the framework version 6 is not the same between my servers, and 5 one forgives more spelling errors.

Edit: actually 4 my PROD section was all lowercase. I probably 3 messed up when editing the config file, and 2 typed a keyboard shortcut to convert my 1 file to lowercase...

More Related questions